Sarah Wesley focuses her practice in corporate law, specifically in the areas intellectual property including trademarks, copyright, and licensing; mergers and acquisitions; privacy compliance; taxation; estate and trust planning, and related litigation.
Sarah Wesley’s trademark practice experience includes:
- Preforming preliminary and full clearance searches of proposed trademarks
- Assistance in finding a trademark that can obtain clearance
- Preparing applications to register both state and federal trademarks
- Responding to trademark trial and appeal board
- Guidance on the type of trademark that will best serves a business’ needs
- Assistance in trademark enforcement, such as cease and desist letters and opposition proceedings
- Trademark licensing agreements
Sarah Wesley’s business law practice experience includes advising clients on:
- Maintaining, transferring, or acquiring intellectual property rights before formation and during mergers and acquisitions.
- Entity selection and formation; organizational issues;
- Negotiation and preparation of a variety of contractual arrangements, including operating and shareholders agreements, license agreements, and SaaS agreements.
Sarah Wesley estate planning and administration practice includes advising individuals and families on:
- Estate and business succession planning
- Asset protection planning
- The administration of decedents’ estates.
- Estate related litigation, including the modification and/or termination of irrevocable trusts.
- Transfer of various forms of digital assets from cryptocurrency to social media accounts.
Previous to law school, she worked at a pharmaceutical testing company, an independent film distribution company, a reality television company, and created several mobile applications. She also served as a judicial extern in the Eastern District of North Carolina Bankruptcy Court with Judge Humrickhouse.
During her time at Wake Forest Law School, she was an extern at the McAuthor Law Firm, an IP law firm in Los Angeles; participated in the Elder Law Clinic, which provides estate planning to low-income individuals; and participated in many pro bono projects including serving as educational surrogate for students with disabilities, teen court, and Phi Alpha Delta. She was a summer associate at Troutman Sanders in Charlotte and at Patrick, Harper, & Dixon in Hickory.
Community Activities and Affiliations
- Cape Fear Community College Foundation: Board of Directors
- Estate Planning Council
- Foundation of Hope
- North Carolina Bar Association: Intellectual Property Section, Estate Planning Section, and Young Lawyers Division member;
- New Hanover County Bar Association: member
Honors & Awards
- Wake Forest Trial Bar Competition –Sweet Sixteen
- Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law
- UNC- Dean’s List (2011-2012)
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science – Scholarship Recipient (2012)
Article, Publications, Speeches
Interview with Zak Williams