Michael Murchison has substantial experience handling civil litigation matters in federal and state courts. He regularly represents businesses, health care entities, financial institutions and others in a wide range of matters, including employment discrimination claims, breach of contract claims, non-compete disputes, and administrative proceedings. He regularly counsels businesses and health care entities with respect to labor and employment issues and health care regulatory issues, including Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FSLA, HIPAA compliance, self- referral, fraud and abuse issues and Medicare reimbursement issues. As counsel to a multiemployer pension plan, he also provides counsel on ERISA matters. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2006 in the Employment Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, and Health Care areas.
Mr. Murchison was formerly an attorney with the National Labor Relations Board from 1975-1979; and an attorney with the Environmental Protection Agency from 1979-1982.
- Successfully defended numerous employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, sexual harassment and wage and hour claims against employers.
- Successfully represented a health care entity in a multimillion dollar non-compete dispute.
- Successfully represented numerous medical practices in disputes with departing physicians.
- Successfully represented a major lending institution in a lender liability claim.
- Successfully represented healthcare entities in recoupment actions brought by governmental payors.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Section Chair/Member, Labor and Employment Section and Health Care Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- N. C. Bar Association’s Access to Justice Leadership Council
- Former Member, Civil Rules Subcommittee for the U. S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
Community Activities and Affiliations
- North Carolina Coastal Land Trust; Board of Directors and Past President
- Historic Wilmington Foundation; Board of Directors and President
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2006, Labor and Employment- Litigation, Health Care, and Employment Law
- Selected for inclusion in Business North Carolina, Legal Elite in Employment, 2010; 2016; 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell – AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Article, Publications, Speeches
Regular speaker at seminars on employment and health care topics